Retail doesn’t have a schedule. Anyone that works retail knows that things happen unexpectedly, associates quit with no notice, and it goes without saying that you can’t just wait for an amazing person to walk into your store and hand you a resume with perfect availability. You have to always be recruiting!
It is so important to have strong brand recognition in your community because one day you may want post “Now Hiring” on your social media and that’s an amazing outlet to generate some new leads and staff! Something as simple as connecting with your community by hiring influential high schoolers and college students can make a huge difference in how the community views their local Lotus!
Some of your best job candidates are going to be the ones who are already employed and not actively job searching. You’ll never get them to stop by with a resume if you don’t let them know how much you want them!
- If you go tanning 3x a week and there is an associate or two that truly stand out at the tanning salon then chances are they would rather be working in a super cute clothing store than wiping up sweat from a tanning bed! Reach out to them and say, “Hey! I’m the manager at Lotus Boutique! If you’ve ever considered working in fashion, come see me!” You will be shocked how simple networking like this will get great people to come in and drop off their resume.
- Don’t focus so much on looking for experience while recruiting. You can teach anyone how to sell, love customers, and run Quickbooks POS. It’s sometimes much better to have someone fresh and new with no experience that you can mold into your perfect associate! You can’t teach passion, willingness, and urgency to go the extra mile.
- Research local events in your area that have to do with fashion. Fashion shows are an amazing place to find some great people that are passionate about fashion! From there just start introducing yourself to people!
- Search social media sites to find super cute local people that could be what you’re looking for in a candidate, and then reach out to them through there!
- Great people know great people. Referrals can be a game changer when it comes to finding your next best employee! Ask your family, friends, and staff if they can think of anyone that would be great for the store!
The most important aspect of hiring and recruiting is to always keep that door open. You never know where your next best person will be found and sometimes you have to go looking!